Brazilian Journal of Pain
https://brjp.org.br/article/doi/10.5935/2595-0118.20210012
Brazilian Journal of Pain
Case Report

Chronic postoperative orofacial pain. Case reports

Dor orofacial pós-operatória crônica. Relato de casos

Karina Tamie Ichimura, José Tadeu Tesseroli de Siqueira

Downloads: 0
Views: 139

Abstract

BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES: The presence of neoplasms, chronic and oral diseases may require surgical treatment for its resolution, although it may consequently cause chronic pain. Chronic postoperative orofacial pain remains even after tissue healing and its causes are not defined. Although neuropathic etiology is the most reported, it represents 30% of cases; the other 70% are still unclear and the main risk factors involved in the development of this chronic pain condition remains on discussion. The aim of the study was to report three clinical cases of different postoperative orofacial pain etiologies. 
CASE REPORTS: Case 1: Female patient, 39-year-old, history of osteoblastoma exeresis in the mandibular body, presenting continuous postoperative shock pain, with intra and extraoral allodynia in the area. Diagnosis: post-traumatic trigeminal neuropathic pain. Case 2: Female patient, 30-year-old, diagnosed with refractory epilepsy and neurocysticercosis, complained of orofacial pain and bitemporal headache worse after craniotomy that treated the reported diseases. Diagnosis: post-craniotomy headache and orofacial pain. Case 3: Female patient, 49-year-old, with hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia, complained of pulsing in the alveolar ridge after extraction of three teeth, performed at different times. Diagnosis: Perception of orofacial pain secondary to systemic vascular disease. 
CONCLUSION: Different surgical procedures, intra and extraoral, led to the development of orofacial postoperative pain in the reported cases, whose etiology is not only neuropathic. Prospective multidisciplinary studies are necessary in order to clarify the causes of orofacial postoperative pain.

Keywords

Craniotomy, Chronic pain, Facial pain, Osteoblastoma, Pain, Postoperative, Hereditary hemorrhagic telangietasia. 

Resumo

JUSTIFICATIVA E OBJETIVOS: A presença de neoplasias, doenças crônicas e doenças bucais pode exigir tratamento cirúrgico para sua resolução, embora possa ocasionar dor crônica. A dor orofacial pós-operatória crônica permanece mesmo após a cicatrização tecidual e suas causas não estão claramente descritas. A etiologia neuropática, embora seja a mais relatada, representa 30% dos casos; os outros 70% não estão elucidados e ainda são discutidos quais os principais fatores de risco envolvidos no desenvolvimento desta condição de dor crônica. O objetivo deste estudo foi relatar três casos clínicos de indivíduos com diferentes etiologias de dor orofacial pós-operatória crônica. 
RELATO DOS CASOS: Caso 1: Paciente do sexo feminino, 39 anos, com histórico de exérese de osteoblastoma em corpo mandibular, apresentou dor pós-operatória em choque, contínua, com alodínia intra e extraoral na área abordada. Diagnóstico: dor neuropática trigeminal pós-traumática. Caso 2: Paciente do sexo feminino, 30 anos, com diagnóstico de epilepsia refratária e neurocisticercose, queixou-se de dor orofacial e cefaleia bitemporal com piora após craniotomia para tratamento das doenças relatadas. Diagnóstico: cefaleia e dor orofacial pós-craniotomia. Caso 3: Paciente do sexo feminino, 49 anos, com telangiectasia hemorrágica hereditária, queixou-se de pulsar em rebordo alveolar após exodontia de três dentes, realizada em momentos distintos. Diagnóstico: percepção de dor orofacial secundária à doença vascular sistêmica. 
CONCLUSÃO: Diferentes procedimentos cirúrgicos, intra e extraorais, levaram ao desenvolvimento da dor orofacial pós-operatória crônica nos casos relatados, de etiologia não apenas neuropática. Estudos prospectivos multidisciplinares serão necessários para esclarecer as causas desse quadro doloroso.

Palavras-chave

Craniotomia, Dor crônica, Dor facial, Dor pós-operatória, Osteoblastoma, Telangiectasia hemorrágica hereditária.

Submitted date:
08/31/2020

Accepted date:
12/30/2020

6164cf3fa95395403b7713b2 brjp Articles

BrJP

Share this page
Page Sections